Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Alex Bag Video

I watched this video and couldn’t help but get aggravated. The stereotypical ranting of this girl is the reason why I never tell people that I go to art school. I understand that this is supposed to be a parody of an art school student’s journey through SVA, but this girl is exactly what people fathom in their mind when you tell them you know someone who goes to art school (or that you go to art school). I also understand that the video was supposed to be humorous, but it wasn’t for me. I had a friend watch the video with me, she is a high school English teacher, and she said this to me: “Why are art students so weird? It’s like they are trying to be different so they don’t have to deal with the criticism of society.” I’m going to have to agree with her statement. I guess I differ from other art students because I don’t do it as a hobby. I went to school to become a graphic designer because I am choosing this as a CAREER. I am not here to change the world using art; I am here to make a living in the field of graphic design. Kudos to those who want to change other people’s perspective of the world by painting odd pictures, or making videos like Alex Bag, but that’s not the reason why I chose to be in artist. A Lot of people overlook the fact that being an artist takes talent. Nowadays everyone calls themselves artists by painting ridiculous abstract forms on a canvas, but I wonder how many of them can paint like the old masters like Rembrandt. Probably only a handful, the rest waste their time making videos like Alex Bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment