Thursday, September 17, 2009

New Museum

The New Museum is an interesting building, the architecture is beautiful. However, the museum is more for aesthetic purposes than for functionality. The top floor is a sky room which overlooks I believe the south side of the city. I didn’t enjoy the exhibits nearly as much as I did in other museums or galleries in Chelsea. However, David Goldblatt’s photography was something that caught my attention. I have never done photography but I admire those that do. I read about his experience in South Africa and his photographs so beautifully reflect his experience. I really liked his photo of a landscape with a tiny person jumping off of the bridge. It was a detail that one could have missed if they weren’t paying attention. Goldblatt’s work is something I can really appreciate. He brought the viewer right into his work. Breathtaking. The artist Emory Douglass on the next floor was radically different. I found his exhibit to be monotonous. After the first couple illustrations I understood the whole idea of the Black Panther propaganda. After looking at a couple of them, I didn’t really need to see any more. His message was simple and easy to understand which made the exhibit boring to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment